Saturday, June 18, 2016

Soccer: Copa América Centenario and UEFA Euro Cup

I like to watch soccer as it is played on its highest levels.  I like to follow the leagues and don't particularly like the atmosphere of international competition between national teams.  That's because people tend to go overboard with the symbolism of their own country as represented on the field...and an important sense of sportsmanship that I've noticed present in league play is diminished in favor of often excessive nationalism and disrespect for opponents..not by players as much as by the spectators and the media.  However, since in recent days the only soccer available for me to watch are international tournaments, I've begrudgingly been following them...

In the Western Hemisphere we have the Copa América Centenario, which has already passed the group stage of the tournament and is currently in the middle of the quarterfinal knockout round.  The Copa América is usually held every four years in the same year as the World Cup and features only South American nations, but this year marks its hundredth anniversary and they are staging a special tournament that includes teams from North America.  The United States, by dint of hosting this tournament, is automatically included and has done well so far, winning its group and then, a couple of days ago, defeating Ecuador 2-1 in the quarterfinal round.  Yesterday Colombia also advanced to the semifinal round when it won a penalty shootout over Peru, after the two had played through regulation and overtime to a scoreless draw.  The other two quarterfinal matches are today: Argentina vs. Venezuela and Mexico vs. Chile...

The other major ongoing international soccer tournament available for me to watch on TV is UEFA Euro 2016, which involves European national teams and is now in the closing part of the group stage.  There are six groups of four teams each: the top two finishers in the three-match round robin schedule advance, as well as the four third-place finishers with the best win-loss records and goal differentials...

I've enjoyed watching these matches for the past few days because the players are so skillful.  And, sure, I'd like to see my American team advance in their tourney, but I also like Mexico and Argentina.  I don't have any particular preference in the European competition, but it's fun in both tournaments to see players I follow who play for teams in England's Premier League, Germany's Bundesliga, U.S./Canada's Major League Soccer, and Mexico's Liga MX playing instead on their respective national squads...