I've gotten myself into the habit in recent months on weekend evenings of watching CNN...it has a very special series of which it usually shows three episodes back-to-back during that time period:
Parts Unknown with Anthony Bourdain. Bourdain is a renown American chef with a compelling personality, a good screen presence, and a strong sense for adventure and interesting topics who is willing to go just about anywhere in the world to reveal its geography, history, culture...and of course, native cuisine. Although he spends a reasonable amount in time in the good ol' U.S.A., he also has crisscrossed the planet...sometimes to famous cities...sometimes to places remote, wild, and even a bit dangerous at times. This program has been on the air since 2013 and has won numerous awards, well-deserved in my opinion. However, the great majority of its episodes I haven't yet seen...no problem: they're all on Netflix, to which I subscribe. Well, seeing that this "service" almost never has the movies I want to watch, it's about time they were useful for
something...
So far I've seen the episodes about Congo, Thailand, Tokyo, Tbilisi (in the Georgian Republic), Bahia (in Brazil), New Jersey, Montana, Miami, Senegal, Cologne, South Africa, Hawaii, and Iran. But there have been some 62 episodes made so far (although 6 of these are season highlight shows) and I have a lot of "work" ahead for me on Netflix to catch up with them all. Besides, every show demands a repeat viewing...
Season 7 of Parts Unknown will begin on Friday, July 1 at 7 pm as Bourdain visits Manila in the Philippines. I'll be working at that time, but I'm sure I'll have several opportunities to watch one of the rebroadcasts that CNN offers for each episode. In the meantime, I think I'll watch some of the older episodes I haven't yet seen via Netflix. If you're new to this quality series, check it out: I don't think you'll be disappointed...