Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Four Crucial End-of-Game Plays Give Cleveland NBA Championship

I wasn't terribly happy to see the expected teams, Cleveland and Golden State, make it to this year's National Basketball Association championship series.  But there they were, and I could either ignore it (which I did for most of the time) or give it some of my attention.  Since the series made it all the way to the seventh and deciding game and I happened to be off from work when it was played this past Sunday evening, I found myself watching it...but only at the very end.  For some reason, four key plays that determined the game's outcome stick in my mind...

Golden State looked as if it might just pull off its second straight championship after it had come from behind to build up an 87-83 lead in the second half of the fourth quarter.  But someone foolishly fouled Cavalier (and Miami Heat) legend Lebron James as he was attempting a three-point shot...he made all three foul shots to cut his team's deficit to a single point. Later, the Warriors were on a break and one of their players caught a pass under the Cleveland basket for an easy layup...but James then came from out of nowhere to block his shot against the glass.  And then there was Golden State passing the ball around for an open shot with the score tied 89-89.  After several passes while the shot clock was dwindling, Draymond Green, who was having an exceptional scoring game (and hitting six of seven three-point attempts), got the ball wide open behind the three-point line.  He shot...and missed, Cleveland rebounding the ball.  Finally, still with a chance to take the lead late in the game, the Warriors were driving down court.  Two-time MVP Stephen Curry had the ball and Klay Thompson was set to receive his pass...but Curry got cute and attempted a completely unnecessary behind-the-back pass, which went astray and out of bounds...the ball went back to Cleveland, which scored and never looked back, ultimately winning 93-89...

But for these four plays, we might be seeing celebration in the streets of Oakland instead of Cleveland.  But the Cavaliers deserve the 2015-16 championship and I congratulate them...