Wednesday, June 8, 2016

A List of My Running Races, 2008-16

Back in 1972-75 I considered myself a runner and made a decision to focus on running long-distance.  Compared to others, I wasn't as fast and quickly made peace with myself about that reality.  Instead, I took the sport on its own terms and made it personal, with me training to tackle the distances required with the perseverance and effort to reach them.  I was in my late teens at the time...by the time I had turned 20 I had lost interest in running.  Other than running up the nine flights of stairs to my dorm room at the University of Florida in 1977-78 and a three-month attempt at running in early 1998, I had essentially abandoned it for a span of more than 30 years...until I resumed it in 2007 after I had turned 50.  By the fall of 2008 I had rebuilt my endurance to the point where I felt I could run in a local 5K race.  Since that first event, all the way to my last a few days ago, I have treated the races I've run, 29 in all, mainly as training runs...albeit in a public, social context.  As for my running as a whole, it has always been primarily a solitary activity...and I plan to keep it that way.  Anyway, as much for my own purposes as for you, the reader, I decided to go back and list these 29 races, in chronological order.  For each race I ran, I have listed the date, distance, finishing time, event name, and location (site is listed if held in Gainesville). I have included the abbreviations HM for half-marathon, M for marathon, and m for miles...and of course K stands for kilometers...

Well, here goes...

10-04-08    5K       25:10      Red Cross 5K              University of Florida
10-18-08    5K       24:07      Hope Heels 5K            Westside Park
11-01-08    5K       24:28      Dog Days 5K               Westside Park
2-14-10     HM    2:17:10     Five Points of Life       Gainesville
3-27-10     15K    1:23:55    Climb for Cancer         Haile Plantation
4-24-10      5K        23:05     Run Amuck                  NFR Office Park
5-22-10      5K        25:00     Somer's Sunshine Run  Orange Park
6-05-10      5K        23:23     Cpt. Chad Reed Mem.   Cross City
7-04-10      3m        23:04     Melon Run                    Westside Park
11-16-10    HM    2:01:41    Tom Walker Memorial  Hawthorne Trail
1-23-11      M       6:04:35    Ocala Marathon             South of Paddock Mall
11-12-11    HM    1:59:38    Tom Walker Memorial  Hawthorne Trail
1-01-12      HM    1:56:07    De Leon Springs HM     De Leon Springs
7-04-12      3m        25:45     Melon Run                     Westside Park
11-22-12   10K       53:10     Turkey Trot                    Tacachale
1-20-13      HM    1:55:20    Ocala Half-Marathon     South of Paddock Mall
3-03-13      HM    1:50:53    Orange Blossom             Tavares
11-09-13    2m     untimed    Gator Gallop                   University Ave, SW 2nd Ave
2-01-14      5K        25:53     Education for Life          Westside Park
2-16-14      HM    2:07:36    Five Points of Life          Gainesville
11-27-14   10K        56:56    Turkey Trot                    Tacachale
12-12-14    HM    2:03:30    Starlight Half-Marathon  Palm Coast
1-31-15     15K    1:18:21    Newnan's Lake 15K        West of Newnan's Lake
2-15-15     HM     1:58:48    Five Points of Life          Gainesville
3-14-15     10K        56:24    Run for Haven                Tioga
12-05-15   6.5m   1:03:52    Lumber Around the Levee   Micanopy
1-30-16     15K    1:31:20    Newnan's Lake 15K        West of Newnan's Lake
3-12-16     10K       59:00    Run for Haven 10K         Tioga
5-14-16       5K       28:36    May Day Glow Run        Tioga