Sunday, April 17, 2016

Governor Scott's Gainesville Starbucks Incident Revisited

I wrote a few days ago about a verbal altercation that recently took place in the downtown Gainesville Starbucks between Florida Governor Rick Scott, who was at the counter to order something, and a woman "customer" seated facing the counter.  They went back and forth arguing about a bill that Scott had signed into law prohibiting Medicaid funds for being used in women's health care that is provided by Planned Parenthood.  Finally, the woman, who turns out to be a self-avowed anarchist, called the governor something profane...eventually he and his accompanying group decided enough was enough and they left.  Later, after it was discovered that most of this exchange had been video recorded and had become viral on the Internet, Scott's office released his own video with the aim of refuting the woman's arguments and making her look pathetic...so why am I still talking about this?

The protester, whose name is Cara Jennings, like I said, is an anarchist by personal conviction who has done this "yelling" kind of disruption in the past.  She disclosed this in an interview published in The Gainesville Iguana, a left wing magazine.  It is obvious that Ms. Jennings has been enjoying her fifteen minutes of fame and has attracted supporters of her views and tactics.  Jordan MacKenzie, a columnist in the Independent Florida Alligator, is one of these and opined that shouting at Governor Scott in public is just about the only option left, since he seems to be unresponsive to petitions and the like.  I, on the other hand, maintain that Rick Scott is behaving as Florida's governor exactly as he said he would, and he has been elected twice to that office...the fact that I disagree with much of what he does won't change anything.  The correct way to handle this would have been to never have elected him in the first place, which would have been a probable outcome had thousands upon thousands of Floridians who had voted for Obama for president not sat out the gubernatorial election because they didn't feel motivated...after all, the "hero" they idolized wasn't on the ballot...

Finally, looking at that Starbucks video, I never did see any sign of a drink or evidence that Jennings was a paying customer...maybe I'm mistaken about that.  But it does bring to mind how many times I've walked into a Starbucks, intending to sit down somewhere with my coffee, only to walk right back out when I see no seats available.  And I've noticed that a small minority of people who use places like Starbucks as a study hall don't seem to ever buy anything...