Monday, November 16, 2015

Missed Lack of League Soccer Action This Past Weekend

As many of my readers would agree, much of the initial footage of Friday's Muslim-extremist terrorist attacks in Paris centered around an exhibition (or "Friendly") soccer match going on between the French and German national teams.  Now, for most of the time, national teams aren't playing each other, as the various leagues are in the middle of their regular seasons.  I had been looking forward to watching more league play this past weekend, wanting to see "my" English Premier favorites Arsenal and Leicester City play their games, along with some German Bundesliga and Mexican Liga MX action.  But when I saw that a France-Germany game was going on Friday... well, besides the horrendous nature of the news of the terrorism...I sadly realized that the leagues would all be taking a break until the following weekend.  So instead of finding a lot of soccer on TV as I am accustomed (especially on Saturday morning and early afternoon), I instead ended up watching more (American) football then usual.  I did see a soccer match between Hungary and Norway, but I much prefer the league play.

North America's Major League Soccer, the premier league here, is in the middle of their playoffs, currently at the conference championship stage.  Round Two of the series between Dallas and Portland in the West, and Columbus and the New York Red Bulls in the East, are upcoming...either this coming weekend or the next.  I've found the playoffs this year in MLS to be very exciting.  I'm pulling for Portland to win it all, but I admit they're probably not the strongest team left...