Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Just Finished Reading Madeleine L'Engle's A Swiftly Tilting Planet

I've been reading, off and on, Madeleine L'Engle's science fiction series for children called the Time Quintet.  I just finished reading the third book, titled A Swiftly Tilting Planet.  In it, we once again find the Murray and O'Keefe families, featuring main characters Meg and Charles Wallace.  But several years have passed between books two and three, and Meg has just married her old friend Calvin O'Keefe while the precocious Charles Wallace has by now turned fifteen.  A new crisis presents itself at the story's beginning: a South American dictator has gotten hold of the atomic bomb and is threatening a nuclear holocaust if his near-impossible demands are not met.  Meg's father, a physicist who has direct access to the White House, tells the grim news to his family.  Meg's mother-in-law, who is present at this moment, places a charge on Charles Wallace to set things right...and presents him with a "rune"...which takes the form of a prayer to heaven to influence the various forces on earth to rescue the speaker during a dire crisis.  Charles Wallace, with Meg psychically tuning in through a process called "kything", then travels back through time with the help of a nifty unicorn and tries, by subtly entering the minds of different people (and with the help of that rune), to influence events enough to change the present and alleviate the nuclear crisis...

First of all, let me just say that I "get it": this is a children's story, and fantasy and implausibility are lathered on thick here.  That being said, I have to object to the idea expressed within it that there is such a thing as an evil ancestral line any more than there is a benevolent one.  But part of the project that Charles Wallace is engaged in is just with that in mind: change the line of descent to the present so that the genetic makeup of the current ruler in that South American country is "good" instead of "evil".  Maybe I'm making too much of this, but it bothered me nonetheless...

So now I've finished three of these books, with two more to go.  But wait, I just found out that the author had also written another series parallel to this one...a series featuring the O'Keefe family and the eventual children of Meg and Calvin.  Maybe I'll just wait a few more years, Lord willing, before I start on that one...