Philip Roth is one of those famous writers whose works have slipped by me over the years. Stephen King, in his latest book Finders Keepers, dropped Roth's name a few times...prompting me to investigate something he wrote. I went to my local public library branch and grabbed Exit Ghost off the shelf...it had the added incentive of being relatively short. Unfortunately, Exit Ghost is apparently the last book in a long series that Roth had been writing concerning the fictional character of Nathan Zuckerman, a famous New York writer. Since I tend to try to avoid picking up books in mid-series, end-of-series has to be the worst! Nevertheless, I gamely pressed on with my reading...
The setting of Exit Ghost is New York City of 2004, right at the time of the presidential election between Bush and Kerry. Zuckerman, who has gone into retreat to woodsy western Massachusetts for more than a decade following death threats emanating from around the New York metropolis, has shed all of the trappings of his former life and has been devoting himself, in rural isolation, to his craft of writing. Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with cancer a few years earlier and had been compelled to return to the city off and on for treatment of the disease and the complications arising from that treatment (I'll leave the sad details for you, the potential future reader, to find out). During one of these return trips, at that time I mentioned, he decides to stay in town for a year...and becomes involved in two subplots that intertwine throughout the book. What they specifically are and what happens I'll leave others to discover for themselves. Let's just say that there is a lot of introspection here, presented in the first person narrative by Zuckerman...
There are many things I derived from Exit Ghost. One is that I didn't need to read all of those other Zuckerman books after all...Roth did a masterful job of creating a complete story here without making me feel as if I needed to go back to previous stories to fill in gaps. Another is the author's Jewish heritage and experiences as he applied them to his characters. Roth also employed a device that I found intriguing: the playing in Zuckerman's mind, eventually transferred to paper, of imaginary conversations he has with characters...when in the real narrative of the story his communication with them is full of awkwardness and missed moments. This resonates with me...and probably would with many people...as I've often recreated scenarios from the past with different outcomes if only I had said this or that...of if the person I was talking with was just a little more reasonable or compassionate...
In Exit Ghost, Philip Roth explored a potential problem that many authors of fiction face as they tend to put much of themselves and their own lives into their characters. Sure, it's "fiction", but can one, by reading a writer's books, conversely work backwards from the fiction and make conclusions about his or her personal life? I have to admit to believing sometimes that Nathan Zuckerman IS Philip Roth in fictional disguise...but that's probably not the case at all. Well, maybe Zuckerman does serve as a spokesman for many of Roth's views and they may have some common life experiences, but he is make-believe nonetheless. The problem is that once I realize that an author is speaking their views and expressing at least some of their own real-life experiences through a particular character, the temptation is to extrapolate that everything that character says and does has a reality to it reflected in the life of the author...
And finally, for the purposes of this particular blog entry at least, there is that recurring theme of mortality and aging that pervades the book. This probably resonates stronger with someone like me who is close to 59 and who just lost a friend from elementary school to cancer than it would to someone in their twenties or thirties. How does one deal with the progressive degeneration of their physical and mental abilities? If this subject bothers you, then perhaps Exit Ghost may not be the book you want to read. Then again, if such is the case, maybe it's a book you need to read...