As is the case from time to time, I have found myself in the middle of reading a number of books at once. This is because I read circumstantially...that is, if I am at a specific time and place I'll have a certain book available to read while in other situations others will be available. I also avail myself of audiobooks and CDs that I check out from the library. For example, I am listening to Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe (by means of CD) whenever I drive...I'm about two thirds through it. I have an audiobook version of Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings, the first (and rather lengthy) book in his new, ongoing Stormlight Archive fantasy series, that I listen to on my little MP3 player at convenient times. I'm at the halfway point in that one. I'm also midway through Isaac Asmov's fourth book (paperback edition) in his Foundation series, titled Foundation's Edge, which I've read before several years ago but have forgotten the details. And I have just begun Victor Hugo's Les Miserables, a very long book whose contents don't seem transferable to the cinema, although more than one movie...including even a musical, of all things...have been made from it. I say this because much of the text is composed of Hugo's musings on society, morality, and religion...how can that be effectively portrayed on the big screen? No, I never did see any of the movies...I like to form my own internal images of the characters and locales from the written story before I see how others interpreted them...
All of the above I checked out from my local public library. And with each of them, I searched the books online on the library website and placed holds on them so that they would notify me when they were ready for pickup...and at the library branch closest to me. The only exception is the audiobook, which downloads directly from the online site that checks them out. Now that's not to say that I don't have a sizable and growing library of books in my personal possession. I need to get them organized and begin to read some of the many that I haven't yet read...most of them are science fiction novels and short story collections. I'm also gradually accumulating books on my Kindle. However, the public library is a great resource for reading and I have of late been heavily relying on it for my books...