Sunday, August 9, 2015
Went to Retreat in Ocklawaha with Melissa This Weekend
This weekend I joined Melissa at a retreat held at a Lake Weir resort in Ocklawaha, Florida (a few miles southeast of Ocala) for some students and alumni of Asbury Theological Seminary, which she attends. Melissa went down there Thursday, but as I couldn't get time off from work, I had to wait until Saturday morning to join her there. The focus of the retreat was marriage and leadership, with different people making presentations on various topics. The atmosphere was relaxed and informal with about 16 in attendance. They provided us with breakfast, lunch and dinner Saturday and breakfast on Sunday morning before the final presentation, which was how to foster creativity. I enjoyed the whole experience as well as the facilities, which provided (as you can see from the pictures) a grand view of the lake...which I had never visited before. Saturday evening I also enjoyed an after-dinner table discussion with some new friends when we discovered a mutual affinity for books...especially stuff in the science fiction/fantasy realm. Everyone was not only friendly but showed a warmth and acceptance that I had not experienced to such a degree with events of this type. Melissa and I are both grateful for having been able to go there...