I just saw what might be called the first German professional soccer match of this season...or the final one of last season, depending on your point of view. The Bundesliga and the other German leagues begin their regular season in a couple of weeks, and I'll be able to watch some of the matches on Fox Sports 1 (Channel 62 here in Gainesville on Cox Cable). But on Sunday, they played what they called the "DFL Supercup" match pitting 2014-15 Bundesliga Champion Bayern Munich against the DFB-Pokal tournament winner for that year. This time around, it was Bayern-Munich against Wolfsburg, and the latter won on penalty kicks after a 1-1 draw in regulation. It gave me an opportunity to acquaint myself with German soccer as I plan to watch plenty of it in the months to come. I haven't as yet picked out a favorite team...I'll just have to watch and see. The broadcast I just watched was a replay of Sunday's match...
Right now, as I am getting myself ready to walk out the door and go to work, Fox Sports 1 is showing a replay of a preseason match between English Premier League rivals Chelsea and Arsenal, both based in London. I'm rooting for Arsenal this season...they finished a distant third to Chelsea last year, but they had a very strong second half of the season. Still, I consider Chelsea to be the clear favorite to win the title again...