Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Some 1965-66 Nova Elementary School Memories, Part 5

Yes, it's time again for another installment of my personal recollections of my fourth grade experiences at Nova Blanche Forman Elementary School, in Davie, Florida (near where the Miami Dolphins currently have their training camp) in the mid sixties.  Once again, I'll list them in no particular order of importance or chronology...

--For social studies, our "suite" of five classrooms that comprised fourth and fifth graders had areas that the students could elect to study according to their interests...Mrs. Hernandez had the Seminole Indians, Mrs. Jenkins had jobs, Mr. Drew had government, Mr. Johnston had climatology (social studies ???), and Miss Kidder...I can't for the life of me remember what her class was about.  By far the most popular of the groups was the Seminole Indians...I picked jobs under Jenkins, a decision I soon regretted.  In retrospect, government or weather would have been a better fit for me.  I spent most of my time with this class in Room 9 either daydreaming or intensely studying the large, detailed map of Broward County posted on the wall to the left of the blackboard...I got to know just about every community in the county and exactly where they were located...

--Later in the school year, I was in a class devoted to the study of the state of Florida, including its history and geography.  We were issued a textbook on the topic and told to work the questions at the end of each chapter in our notebooks...at our own pace on our own...Jenkins, who had a nasty, short temper, was again my so-called "teacher".  I took advantage of this class to often just get up, walk out, and wander around the school, with the great library they had being my favorite haunt...

--There was a series of interesting science movies out in schools, made by the Bell Telephone Company in the late 1950s as a Cold War response to the Soviet bloc's science achievements (like Sputnik), .  They were hosted by a genial, paternal bald man with glasses by the name of Dr. Frank Baxter.  The movies, which according to the available technology of the time, we watched using rolling film projectors (which often jammed up) and screens, ranged in subjects covering the weather (Unchained Goddess), the sun (Our Mr. Sun), astrophysics (The Strange Case of the Cosmic Ray), language (The Alphabet Conspiracy), genetics (The Thread of Life), the circulatory system (Hemo the Magnificent), the five senses (Gateways to the Mind), and time (About Time).  I loved them all, with the one about cosmic rays being my favorite (I still have a soft spot in my heart for mu and pi mesons). I watched every movie, some several times, over the course of my three years at Nova Elementary.  I enjoyed them so much, as a matter of fact, that I would sneak out of my class and hide in the back of another if I found out they were showing a Bell Science film.  In the fourth grade, I saw the films about the sun and the weather. A few years ago I was able to check out a couple of the Bell Science movies from my public library and watch them again.  Needless to say, they weren't exactly cutting-edge science anymore...

--Late during the school year, we read a book that had a chapter on secret codes.  Suddenly, there sprung up a war of espionage among groups of classmates (including myself) that involved us devising intricate codes and trying to crack those of the "enemy"...

--Also late in the school year, the faculty created a "table of honor" during lunchtime for the well-behaved model students.  Starting at one table, the "table of honor" gradually increased in number to where it comprised more than two-thirds of the cafeteria (or "multi-purpose room" as they called it).  I had been selected for it, but got kicked off one day when a teacher/monitor saw me clowning around at the table with a friend.  As I sat there shame-faced in the section that lacked honor, a whole group of my friends suddenly came over, also just unceremoniously evicted from their exalted table.  Apparently, good-natured, harmless fun is a dishonorable activity...

Well, I think I've filled up enough on this page about my 1965-66 Nova Elementary School memories.  More to come...