Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Just Finished Reading Lyn Hamilton's The Celtic Riddle

Back in April, as reported on this blog, I went to the Alachua Friends of the Library book sale here in Gainesville.  They had a lot of used books selling for pennies on the dollar...one such book I bought was a paperback mystery novel by Lyn Hamilton titled The Celtic Riddle, for which I dished out 50 cents.  Hamilton, who sadly died of cancer in 2009, has authored an intriguing series of eleven "archaeological" mysteries, to which the book I purchased belongs.  Lara McClintoch, a Toronto-based antiques store owner, is the protagonist and tells the story in the first person.  Each book goes to a different location on the planet and examines its culture and relics in the context of a suspenseful mystery.  With The Celtic Riddle, the place of interest is Ireland.  Lara accompanies her friend Alex to the Dingle in far southwestern Ireland for the reading of a will following the death of a wealthy Irish businessmen...and discovers that aside from the assignment of that wealth to different family members, employees, and friends, there is a special hidden treasure that he has given clues to the divided family and others to find.  His intention was for everyone to get back to working together, but Lara finds that there is too much animosity and distrust between these often very disagreeable people.  And the fact that some of them are being murdered, one-by-one, doesn't exactly help with the trust issue...

As far as mysteries are concerned, I enjoyed The Celtic Riddle...although the villain committing the murders was someone I had come to suspect rather early in the story.  But I think my success in sleuthing this out was primarily due to the fact that I'm just getting good at figuring out mysteries...especially after reading so many Sue Grafton novels.  I also enjoyed Lara McClintoch's agreeable but realistic character...this is someone that I would enjoy following in subsequent books of the series.  There is only one issue I had with this story...

The clues to the treasure, based somehow on an old Irish poem, don't make any sense to me...although Lara doesn't seem to have any trouble "connecting the dots".  The initial clues point to further clues found across the country in buildings, boats, and monuments.  The treasure hunters never seem to have much trouble finding them, which I think would be much more difficult in real life.  But having said that, I did enjoy the old Irish legends that the author introduced into the story.  As to the implausibility of it being so easy to pick up the clues in the treasure hunt...well, that isn't the ultimate mystery of The Celtic Riddle, anyway...

I checked my public library system's catalog for books by Lyn Hamilton.  I was amazed to discover that they had no books of hers, yet were quite happy to rid themselves of this quality novel so cheaply at their book sale! I think I'll fill out a purchase suggestion to them for Hamilton's books...