Ian Stewart is an English Professor of Mathematics at the University of Warwick. In the last several years, he has written a number of books popularizing the study of mathematics...a subject I fear needs a heavy dose of popularizing. The book of his that I just read, Letters to a Young Mathematician, gradually walks a hypothetical aspiring mathematician all the way from high school through college, graduate school, and then through the stages of her ensuing professional career in the field in the form of letters he imagines he would have written her. Along the way, he shows the importance of mathematics in our lives, how mathematicians think, how to learn mathematics, how proofs...the bedrock of mathematics...are very similar to stories in their structure, and some important career tips. The book is short, only 203 pages, and I read it very quickly. I left it feeling encouraged about mathematics, although I personally am not at all in the same position that the imaginary "Meg" or Ian Stewart are: their paths through this field were rather conventional, spanning the greater parts of their lives and going through the standard educational and career stages at certain chronological ages, whereas I am sitting here at age 58 looking at it from a slightly different perspective. Still, I don't think it would hurt me to delve back into this field a little...I've just begun studying linear algebra and am practicing matrix operations. They're actually quite fun, very much like Sudoku or Kakuro...only here I actually do need the "answer key" to tell if I got the right answer. From time to time I'll report on the progress I've been making with my mathematical adventures...
Letters to a Young Mathematician is just one of a number of mentoring books out there which perform the twofold purpose of popularizing a particular field of endeavor for everyone to better understand while at the same time encouraging interested people among them to enter it...even if it is at a more modest level than that attained by the books' writers. I can think of a couple more books like this: Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karanazes and On Writing by Stephen King. As with mathematics, there are many people who would never take up running or writing because they fear they would look stupid to others...but with anything, you're going to stumble a bit in the beginning, so a little bit of humility is a needed ingredient in any such undertaking. I happen to do all three to various degrees of success: running, writing, and once again after many years, mathematics. I'll always find people around me better in them, but that's not the point: pursuing these fields is fulfilling in itself...