Saturday, May 2, 2015
A Bit Out of Shape on My Bicycle
I went out again this morning on my bicycle, riding around my neighborhood for 3.4 miles. It was clear and relatively cool for this time of year, and the air seemed drier than usual as well. But it seemed that, no matter which direction I was riding in, I was getting the wind coming at me...and believe me, I wasn't going fast enough to cause the effect with my riding speed. Also, in spite of the fact that my neighborhood is, for all practical purposes, as flat as a table top, I felt as if I were continually fighting my way up a gradual slope. I think there's probably a reasonable explanation for this all: I'm out of training on my bicycle...and anything that might possibly contribute to me having to make an extra effort is going to be magnified in my mind. But I'm going to keep grinding away and gradually step up the mileage. The irony is that I could run the same course I just rode my bike down and come away from it with a different reaction...but I'm used to running a lot and I haven't biked regularly since 1995...even though, from time to time, I've taken the rusty old contraption out of the storage shed and wheeled around on it...