I was watching the MLB (Major League Baseball) Channel last night after work to catch up on the day's baseball action. Aside from my teams generally losing (so what's new), they had a short segment about someone ceremonially throwing out a game's first pitch, this one taking place, I believe, in St. Louis. Nothing unusual there...except that the individual performing the honor (from a little bit closer to the home plate than the pitcher's mound), a man named Arnold Vouga, is 106 years old!
Let's see...if you're 106 years old, that means you were either born in 1908 or 1909. You were a young adult when the stock market crashed in 1929 and were already well into your thirties when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. At 58, I consider myself to be on the verge of being counted as one of the elderly, but you'd already have been where I'm currently at around 1967, when the Beatles were still together and producing their best music, LBJ was still the Prez, and Martin Luther King, Jr. was still alive and speaking out against the quagmire known as the Vietnam War...and Michigan Governor George Romney was leading a dude named Richard Nixon in the Gallup polls for the Republican presidential nomination the following year...
So here I am at my age...do I really think I'm going to last as long as Arnold Vouga, much less be as active and engaged as him at his advanced age? Shoot...I doubt that Mr. Vouga himself could have predicted he'd still be around in 2015 in his present condition. Better for me to just live each day as it comes and simply be grateful for any blessings of longevity and health should they become a part of my life in the future...