Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Today is Election Day in Gainesville...Why Not Vote?

Today is election day here in Gainesville, Florida.  In last month's two city commission races, there was only a 12% turnout.  Based on the early vote attendance in the last few days, today's runoff vote will have an even smaller turnout.  Needless to say, I went down to my local precinct, which was crowded (it's a senior recreational center) and voted, being the only voter there...and probably had been for quite a while.

The two races are for District One, in which I don't live, and for an at-large seat comprising the entire city.  Therefore,  I only voted in the runoff election between Harvey Budd, who seems to be supported by the more left-leaning faction of the Democratic Party, and Jay Curtis, who seems to be represent reasonable growth and lower utility rates.  In the District One race, Yvonne Hinson-Rawls is running against Charles Goston.  Budd and Curtis each got about 33% of the vote in the initial election: I think Budd will win it, though...although I had a more favorable opinion of Curtis.  I'm not sure about the other two, although Hinson-Rawls seems to be garnering more support from the political establishment here.

So if you're a resident of Gainesville and are a registered voter, why not refamiliarize yourself with your local precinct and have a voting experience today?  Then you can go around the rest of the day and lord over others the fact that you voted and they didn't...