One book that I have read, reread...and keep rereading, since 2010, is Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes. Karnazes, who goes by the nickname "Karno", just turned 52 and, since he was 30, has been running races longer than the traditional 26.2-mile marathon length: hence the term "ultramarathon". He's even gone as far as running a 199-mile event, and has ranged from marathons in the Death Valley under intense heat to the frigid cold in a run to the South Pole in Antarctica. However, I have no intention of emulating his extreme running, either regarding the long distance or the climatic conditions. But I do want to continue running long distance races like the half-marathon, and eventually get myself back in condition for regular marathons. I'm having my annual medical check-up in a couple of weeks, and if I get the "thumbs up" from my doctor, I plan to work for the next few months to strengthen my body, lose weight, and increase my running endurance...and then see if I can't handle a marathon this upcoming fall or winter...
I think that's why I like reading Ultramarathon Man so much: it has a positive "can do" type of message to it that is infectious and inspiring...