I have to admit that, although I am technically active in Facebook with a few Facebook friends, I'm not very versatile or prolific about the various forms of posting, such as YouTube or linking from other people's posts. Nor am I very adept at the quick picture-taking-and-posting from my cell phone that I see so often on this site. No, I confine my Facebook use to either passively looking at others' posts or putting (usually daily) links to my own personal blog (to which this article belongs). And I enjoy seeing posts with positive, uplifting messages on them! However, I see, from time to time, some of the users venting on a more personal level about hardships they are going through, usually either about relationships, health, or money. That used to bother me more than it does now, but social media like Facebook provide a good emergency outlet for people if they feel the need to call out in distress about troubles they are facing in life. However, it's important to be careful about using this site to verbally attack others (unless they're critiquing public figures like politicians or entertainers...and even then there has to be some self-restraint). Posting in the middle of extreme anger is probably a bad, bad idea...
Facebook has a feature on it that lets the one who posted an entry know who "liked" the posting. This tends to make it more of a social encouragement and popularity site, in my opinion. I'd rather they had an option that users could click on that simply stated that they read my blog articles. Whether the reader agrees or disagrees with me about what I wrote is secondary...I'm more interested in the readership, and I always leave plenty of room for comments, which I welcome...although readers are also welcome to maintain anonymity, if that is what they wish. If you see Facebook as a site to encourage your friends, then as a Facebook friend please encourage me by reading my blog!