60-59, 60-59, 66-65, 66-65 (in overtime), 67-65, 69-65, 57-56, 56-53...and 75-72 (in overtime).
These are the amazing scores of yesterday's NCAA Men's Basketball Championship Tournament. There were, to be sure, other games with wider margins, but the sheer number of these nail biters was incredible...and even the identity of scores as well. I did get to see a couple of them, but had to be at my job during the late afternoon and evening games. Not that I would have spent all of my time glued to the TV had I been off, mind you. Still, this flood of fantastic, competitive games is something to behold, and it continues today...
One of the above contests was a "sad" pairing for me: LSU against North Carolina State. For although I wanted the Wolfpack to win (which they barely did), I also would have liked to see the Tigers advance further in the tournament. Today I see another such matchup, with Georgia set to play Michigan State at 12:30...I'm going for the Spartans with the same degree of melancholy, knowing that one of these two teams won't be going any further. But right this minute, I'm watching New Mexico State going up against Kansas, a team I generally root against...