While recovering from sickness on my day off, I spent much of yesterday resting, reading...and watching television. I've discovered that, on Saturdays this time of the year, if you don't have much else to do at the time, you can spend much of the day watching soccer on TV if that's the sport you like to follow. And since that was the case with me yesterday, I ended up watching five different matches...
The first two were from the English Premier League. League-leading Chelsea was expected to run up the score on floundering Burnley, which is fighting to avoid relegation (demotion) to the next lower league next year. Chelsea, after getting an early 1-0 lead, couldn't build on it and Burnley managed to score a late goal to tie it, to the surprise of everyone. The second game featured defending champion Manchester City plastering their opponent Newcastle 5-0 with excellent passing and shooting.
The final three games were from the Mexican Liga MX, their premier soccer league. The first of these was a classic confrontation between Cruz Azul, based in Mexico City, and Guadalajara Chivas. The former was undefeated so far in this second half "Clausura" of the split 2014-15 season and expected to continue against Chivas, which was also fighting to avoid relegation to the next lower league. Cruz Azul took a 1-0 lead and held it almost to the end, but Guadalajara jolted them with two lightning-quick goals in rapid succession around the 80-minute mark and upset them. What a great game that was! Then, disappointing Monterrey still managed to pull out a 2-1 win over Queretero, followed by the Monterrey-based Tigres "Tigers" bowing to the Chiapas Jaguares "Jaguars" 1-0. That finale was a little disappointing to me since I was expecting Tigres, which nearly won the first split season "Apertura" championship this year, to be stronger than they have been of late...
Well, today I don't expect to be camped out in front of the TV set, and I have other things to do anyway. Still, I need to rest a little more before I go back to work this evening, and if a soccer match happens to be on...