Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Starbucks Suddenly Packed with Students

Seeing how I work the late night/early morning shift at my job, I often stop by on the way there in the evening at one of the Starbucks in town: the one on NW 13th Street (US 441) and 16th Avenue, just a few blocks north of the University of Florida campus.  Usually, around 9:30 to 10 PM, the place is usually about half full, peopled mostly by either students using it as a study hall or by the local police as a popular break spot.  That was certainly the case Monday evening when I went there, sitting at the window counter after musing for a moment over my numerous seating choices.  But yesterday evening I went there at the same time and could tell immediately that things had changed...the parking lot was full and overflowing.  When I entered the Starbucks, almost every seat in the store was taken by students.  I quickly put my stuff on the remaining free table inside before I got in line to order my coffee.  Two women who came in right after me, after they made their purchases, spent a lot of time wandering around looking for a place to sit.  I don't know why Tuesday was so different from Monday, since classes at UF and Santa Fe have been going on for a few weeks already.  It makes me want to stop by there again tonight to see if it's still standing room only...