I just finished reading Mr. Mercedes, which is Stephen King's most recent novel. The story centers around the struggle between a psychopathic murderer who drove a stolen car into a line of people awaiting a job fair, killing eight, and the retired police detective bent on catching him. The killer, an expert at computer hacking, stalks the detective and tries to provoke him to suicide...but his actions only serve to motivate him.
Unlike many of Stephen King's other works, Mr. Mercedes contains no elements of the paranormal. It is instead a classic cat-and-mouse struggle between good and evil as represented by people living out their lives in the real world. I actually, however, prefer King's stories that delve into more speculative/alternative reality stories like It, Lisey's Story, Insomnia, and 12/22/63. The characters in Mr. Mercedes seemed to me like recycled characters from some of King's earlier works: I felt that I already knew them, but that they were in different stories with different names. No, I wasn't particularly impressed with this book. I instead would recommend other recent Stephen King books like Joyland and Doctor Sleep...