Tuesday, July 8, 2014

FIFA World Cup Now Down to Four Teams

Today begins the semifinal round of the FIFA World Cup of men's soccer, with Brazil pitted against Germany.  Not only is Brazil's star player Neymar out with an injury, but another key player, team captain Thiago Silva, is suspended for this crucial game because he accumulated too many penalty cards in the previous game.  That rule, along with the asinine off-sides rule in soccer, in my opinion detracts from the sport: instead, they should institute something like in ice hockey, where they charge penalty minutes after which they let the guilty player return to the game.  Then, fans could look forward to seeing their hero come into the game at a certain point, adding to the dramatics.  I'm rooting for the Brazileiros...but the bigshots who get paid for pushing their opinions in the media seem to be lining up behind the Germans.  In the other semifinal contest, to be played tomorrow, "my" team Argentina will play against the Netherlands, led by their dive-happy jerk Arjen Robben.  There are teams in sports, like the current New York Yankees, that I root for because of one great player (in NY, it's Derek Jeter).  Then there are teams that I WILL OPPOSE just for one player that I despise... in Holland's case, it's that diver Robben, who robbed Mexico with his antics, faking fouls by diving with accompanying pained facial expressions.  For that alone I would have rooted against Amsterdam...but I also like Argentina and their brilliant offensive genius Lionel Messi.   So GO Argentina, my current favorite for the Cup...