Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Just Finished Reading Robert Jordan's The Fires of Heaven

I recently finished reading the fifth book in Robert Jordan's fourteen-part The Wheel of Time series, this one titled The Fires of Heaven.  I have to admit that this series, of all of the fantasy series that I have read, is turning out to be my least favorite.  And it's the longest!  I have a number of objections, one of the biggest being its pretentious tone.  Another problem is that I am experiencing a great deal of difficulty in empathizing with the characters I'm supposed to be caring for.  They seem to spend the greater part of their time together arguing and insulting one another. One of the series subplots that I do like concerns the character Perrin and his developing romance with Faile.  So what did Jordan do with The Fires of Heaven but completely exclude them from the narrative, as if they never existed!  He'd better quickly pick up on their story in the next book if he expects me to continue on reading (if he were still alive, that is)...

But the main problem I have with Jordan's Wheel of Time series is the same one I have with George R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice.  There are too many characters, kingdoms, and subplots going on, with the confusion increasing with each successive book.  It is said that after the eleventh book, Jordan had intended to wrap up the series in the twelfth, but he died...leaving another fantasy writer, Brandon Sanderson, to finish it up.  But the story was apparently so convoluted that Sanderson needed to write three more books to bring it to a proper conclusion!  And here I am, a frustrated reader after only five books completed...