Thursday, July 24, 2014

Blog Topics Need Widened Scope

Sometimes I reflect back on the kind of topics I choose to write about on this blog.  In the last few months, my articles have been rather narrow in scope.  They have chiefly been about books I've read, sports stories, my running progress (or lack thereof), the weather, and my very occasional visits to the beach.  There's nothing wrong with any of these subjects, but I used to write more about the news, politics, philosophy, and religion as well.  If you examine the archives here, especially the older articles, you'll find more about these.  Of course, with news, politics, philosophy, and religion, I'm also much more likely to ruffle a few feathers here and there among my readership...even when I express mainstream opinions, like I did when I happened to write a "religious" article lately on the "end times".  But you know, I'm not getting any younger and I have an increasingly stronger feeling as I age (I'll be 58 in October) that, looking back on my life from the end, my regrets will come more from missed opportunities than from acting when I should have restrained myself.  So I've decided to ratchet up my writing a notch or two and bring up topics that may or may not qualify as being controversial...as I used to.  After all, there's all kinds of stuff to look at: Russia/Ukraine/Putin, Israel/Gaza, the 2014 campaign season, discussion of Christian/Biblical topics, and various societal trends.  Oh, and I also used to publish lists of my favorites in music, literature, and TV.  Maybe I'll do a little more of that, too...