Sunday, March 2, 2014

Just Finished Reading Veronica Roth's Insurgent

Continuing along with Veronica Roth's popular Divergent trilogy, I just finished reading the second book, titled Insurgent.  Once again, sixteen year old Beatrice "Tris" Prior, judged "divergent" in her strange divided culture of five distinct personality types, is struggling to survive, protect her friends, and make some sense over the breakdown of her once well-ordered society.  It all takes place in what was formerly Chicago, but this once-great city in Roth's future vision has been greatly depopulated and mysteriously cut off from the rest of the world.  This scenario had me speculating on the ultimate truth of the situation here, and why this society had been divided into five clear-cut personality factions.  As it turned out, I was right to go down that path since this is where Insurgent leads, ending with a teaser about what's going on in the "outside" world.  I enjoyed reading Insurgent, although as is commonly the way it is with these trilogies, the innovation of the first book has dissipated and we already know that matters won't be completely resolved and explained until the third book.  But I'm already looking at this series as one big, connected book (similar to when I read Lord of the Rings, actually a trilogy in itself) so I'm just two thirds of the way through it.  The last third will be the book Allegiant, which I'll be starting on soon.

In an earlier article I alluded to the fact that the movie Divergent will be coming out in theaters on March 21.  Now I'm seeing it hyped like crazy on the covers of several entertainment magazines.  I'd like to watch the film version of Divergent, if only to see how they handle those cool daredevil stunts performed by those belonging to the "Dauntless" faction...