It had been several months since I paid a visit to my local planetarium, located at Santa Fe (formerly "Community") College. Last night I decided to go and hear what planetarium producer/director (and star of television's Star Hustler sky-gazing show) James Albury has to say about the spring sky. With tracks from pieces by Isao Tomita, Vangelis, and other artists playing in the background, we were treated to a basic lesson in astronomy, covering concepts like azimuth and altitude, the spring equinox, planetary motion (including retrograde motion), how one's latitude affects the portion of sky visible to them, and other interesting concepts. I never tire of Albury going over the same basic material, for his style of speaking is warm and humorous. Still, from time to time he would pause during his presentation to ask those in the audience still awake to clap...I'm not quite sure others were on the same plane as me.
I timed my arrival at the planetarium so as not to be too early, and after being once again automatically given the unmerited senior discount at the entrance, one of the three sharply dressed assistants there informed me that I was the first one arriving for the show. So for a few minutes I was the only one in the "big room", sitting back and enjoying the solitude, darkness, and ambient music. When others came in eventually, they were always in groups...but with group outings to places like this, you know that some within those groups are coming along for the group's sake and not because they have any abiding interest in what's going on in the night sky. But it was plain that, being there this time by myself, I was a "true believer"...and as it turns out, for nearly fifty years.
In April of 1964, my father took me aside one evening and showed me his very old Boy Scout handbook where it had maps of the night sky. He explained that the stars were grouped into things called "constellations" that made it easier to identify them in the sky. It was very much like the "connect-the-dot" puzzles I had grown up with. We then went outside in the front yard to observe the night sky. I don't exactly remember, but I think that Leo the lion was the first constellation I ever saw out there. After this initial experience, my interest in constellations and the night sky took off like a rocket...in the second grade I could reproduce the night sky on paper from memory for any season...
Mr. Albury's show about the springtime evening sky, to me, was a little off the mark as he tended to first heavily focus on traditionally winter constellations like Orion, Taurus, and Gemini while only briefly touching upon Leo and totally ignoring Virgo, the two of them dominating the spring evening sky (along with Bootes). Then he jumped over to Hercules, which to me has always signified the month of July. Oh well, at least he did dwell a bit on the asterism of the Big Dipper (within the constellation Ursa Major), which is at its highest in the north during the springtime evening.
If this show were taking place further south, like in Central America or the Caribbean, I would think that Crux, or the "Southern Cross", along with Alpha and Beta Centauri, would be objects of focus. Of course, with the planetarium projector at his disposal, the director might have mentioned them anyway, in spite of our being too far north in latitude to observe them.
But there was a lot to cover in this show and it was only for a hour...so stuff had to be left out. I still enjoyed it a lot and plan to return in a few weeks' time. The planetarium has other shows on its schedule, such as a kid's matinee show about atoms and molecules, a show about eclipses, and two different musically driven graphic/optical presentations, one based on Led Zeppelin's greatest hits and the other on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album. For me, I'm a little more on the "astronomy" side of the picture and may just stick with those types of programs...