This morning on the sports talk radio, on ESPN's Mike and Mike Show, the two presumed "Mikes" were discussing why fans of a particular college football team would turn around and root for their bitter rival in a bowl or championship game just because they were in the same conference and/or state. To these Mikes, team loyalty should overrule conference or state pride. They gave as an example the large number of University of Alabama fans who say they will be rooting for cross-state rival Auburn (who beat them in a crucial game late this season) in their national championship game. The announcers may not have understood one thing, though, that plays in my mind when deciding whom to support...
I grew up in Florida, not Gainesville where I now live, but rather in the southeastern part near Miami. From the time I was twelve I rooted for any Florida team that played anyone else that was outside the state, be it Florida State, Florida, or Miami (or Florida A&M, Bethune Cookman, or Tampa for that matter). It wasn't until later in life that I planted myself here in Gainesville where the University of Florida is and became primarily a fan of theirs. I think that may be the same way with a lot of fans growing up and living in Alabama, who from childhood got used to pulling for Alabama or Auburn...whoever happened to be playing at the time. I myself never got too deeply into the sometimes hateful rivalry that developed between Florida and FSU, so I'm quite alright with the Seminoles winning tonight's national championship game with Auburn. However, I will be pulling for the Tigers to beat FSU as I am grateful for them beating Alabama and knocking their coach Nick Saban out of a chance to play in the title game.
So I'm "slightly" rooting for Auburn tonight, but if Florida State wins as expected that will be fine as far as I'm concerned, even as a Florida Gator fan here in Gainesville...
Monday, January 6, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment