Early this morning I was listening at work to the news on my radio around three AM when they were discussing how bad the weather was up north, with all the snow, frozen roads and very cold temperatures. Then I heard the news that it was so bad that schools would be closed for today as far south as Virginia, to which I had to stop and reflect. You see, I had just heard that a couple of northern Florida counties also had announced that school would be cancelled for today, in spite of the fact that temperatures were only dipping into the twenties (above zero, as opposed to much of the Midwest) and there was no remote hint of snow or sleet for the area. So I'm getting in my mind the enormity of the weather-generated crisis up north...and then neighboring counties like Columbia and Clay suddenly shut down school. Why?
It's true, as my wife pointed out to me, that if a child in a family of working parents gets sick and needs to stay home from school, someone will also need to stay home to take care of them. But usually that is a situation that only a minority of families have to deal with at any one time. When the entire school system gets unexpectedly shut down, though, all families with working parents have to scramble around to accommodate the situation...so that situation had better merit the decision to cancel those classes. In this case, those responsible for closing schools in the two aforementioned counties acted rashly and irrationally without taking into account the consequences of their decisions.
Tuesday, January 7, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment