Last night I was following a very frustrating Monday Night Football game between the Detroit Lions and the Baltimore Ravens...frustrating on a couple of counts. You see, I was rooting for Detroit, I team that I don't like, to beat Baltimore, I team that I do like...all because I felt that "my" team, the Miami Dolphins, had to beat out the Ravens in the regular season in order to get the last available playoff spot for the post-season. And it was also frustrating because the Lions kept turning the ball over and dropping pass after pass. They still almost pulled it out, getting themselves a brief lead toward the end of the game. But Baltimore squeaked out a win with an improbable 61-yard field goal in the closing seconds. As a matter of fact, they managed to beat Detroit without a touchdown...scoring 18 points on six field goals. I hope that's the last time I feel that I have to root for Detroit. And it apparently turns out that it was unnecessary after all, because...
All Miami has to do is win its last two games and they are in the playoffs as a wild card team. The reason is that Baltimore can now win their division outright with a final game victory over Cincinnati. And if that happens, then Miami wins the wild card tiebreaker with the Bengals, whom they defeated in the regular season. Should Cincinnati win that game, then Miami (with those two final wins) beats Baltimore out with a better regular season record. So it's doubly frustrating in that I could have been ENJOYING the Ravens putting it to the Lions the way they did last night. In any event, I feel free to cheer for Baltimore again, at least until they (hopefully) face Miami later in the playoffs...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment