Saturday, November 9, 2013

Our 2013 Gator Gallop Run

Yesterday was the traditional two-mile Gator Gallop run, technically a race but in reality a mob surge (estimated 600 entrants) down University Avenue from the University of Florida track area to NW 6th Street, down that road and then back on SW 2nd Avenue almost back to UF.  Earlier in the week I had preregistered myself and my daughter and was surprised to find that there were no timing chips...and that the finishing times wouldn't be recorded.  So in the end this was just a privilege I was paying for to be part of a Gator Homecoming tradition...for this run immediately precedes the beginning of the Homecoming Parade each year. Okay, I thought, I can handle that...and then hang around after the run to watch the procession of floats, cars, trucks, marchers, and performers.

Melissa drove Rebecca and me down to UF and we found some parking close by for five bucks.  Then she left to find a good spot along the upcoming parade route and waited for father and daughter to run by during the Gallop.  Which we did, resulting in the picture of us below.

I found it was just as fun to sit around and get a feeling for the festive atmosphere, with entrants planning to either walk, run, skate, or skateboard.  There were plenty of dogs taking part in the event with their humans, as well as parents pushing their babies in strollers.  Also, there was an inordinate number of little children running in this two-mile adventure.  I told Rebecca I wasn't  trying to win anything in this race, but please don't let any of those pipsqueaks beat me!

Most of the race, especially the first two thirds, involved us simply trying to avoid slower participants and find pockets that we could fit in. It was nearly impossible to establish any reasonable pace, so I just "sat back" in a manner of speaking and took in the experience.  Rebecca, despite feeling some discomfort during the run in her left ankle, surprised me with a powerful sprint at the end. Just beyond the finish line (no times...we had to do that ourselves), there was water, fruit juice, and bananas.  The walk back to where Melissa awaited us was lengthy, but it was fun to me because I got to reflect on how much the campus had changed with its newer buildings and landscaping since I had been a student there.  Finally, we reached our roadside seat and enjoyed the parade, about which I wrote yesterday...along with the accompanying photos.

And here are a few pics of our Gator Gallop experience, along with a little campus stuff!


No comments:

Post a Comment