Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Dolphins Racist Bully

I've been following the major sports story out there about how a Miami Dolphins offensive lineman was engaging in bullying over another player on the same team.  The excuse for this thuggish behavior was traditional hazing of rookies.  Only one problem, though: the victim was in his second year on the team, not a rookie!  Also, the perpetrator made a vicious racial slur against the other and even threatened to kill him.  The Dolphins have suspended and most likely will cut this degenerate.  But isn't a death threat a crime, with the racism adding the tone of hate?  So why isn't law enforcement investigating this jerk?

Regarding hazing of new members of a football team, the rationale is that somehow just being on whatever team is involved is an honor and rookies have to show their loyalty to this great tradition by submitting to indignities and humiliation.  But the Dolphins, while many years ago having been a quality, winning franchise, haven't done ANYTHING to merit such devotion in the past few years.  2009, 2010, 2011, an 2012 were all losing seasons.  How dare ANY player on the team during this time put on an air of superiority over ANYONE?

When someone else gets bullied, you and I are also the victims. I was the victim of bullying in childhood, and I never forgot anyone's name or face.  I doubt that I'm the only one like this, either. Fortunately, I have more important things to concern myself with than to dwell on the past, though. But I bet a lot of past bullying victims aren't like me and have made the choice to hold on to their grievances and injustices. I'd hate to have been a bully and then run into one of these... 

Must be interesting going through life as a bully, constantly having to look back over one's shoulders...

No comments:

Post a Comment