I was having lunch with Melissa earlier this afternoon at a TGI Friday restaurant on Bruce Downs Road just east of Tampa. As usual, we thoroughly enjoyed our meals there and the service was great. Once thing I noticed was the music being piped in to us. It sounded like a college/alternative/indie rock station and I recognized several of the featured acts. But although I really liked all of the music I heard, I didn't recognize a single song that was being played...bringing me to an interesting (to me) revelation. I have lost touch with the indie/alternative rock scene that I had been so closely following for several years. I'm sure that I am missing out on many of my favorite musical artists' latest releases, while at the same time I listen regularly to their older works on my MP3 player. And I'm not exactly sure why I stopped keeping up with new releases, except for possibly the fact that I have enough material already that I enjoy listening to. Still, I DO keep up with certain acts I like the most: Regina Spektor, Radiohead, and Sufjan Stevens. But for most of them I am completely oblivious as to what they've been up to lately, or even if they are still making recordings.
Maybe I'll just tune in to one of those Internet indie stations from time to time to try to keep up. I had forgotten how good most of this stuff sounds!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment