Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Cooler Weather Auspicious for Running

Today, even late in the morning, the temperatures remained in the upper 60's, providing me an opportunity to run outside in the elements without exposure to excessive heat.  The humidity was still high, but with the lower temperatures all that did was to slow my running a bit.  In fact, it's been generally cooler for the last two days: yesterday I ran 3.5 miles outside and today it was for 4.05 miles.  I'll be out of town for a few days, going down to South Florida, so I'll probably be using the treadmill at whatever hotel I stay at until Saturday or Sunday.  Still, the cooler weather is an auspicious sign for me as I want to do more outdoor running as I train for the Tom Walker Memorial Half-Marathon scheduled on November 16 here in Gainesville.

The more runner-friendly weather couldn't have come at a better time, as my local gym, Gainesville Health and Fitness Center, in spite of its recent media blitz touting its expansion by several thousand square feet, is in reality restricting access to its machines by moving them over into tight, cramped spaces with some of them not functioning.  The last few times I've been there have not been very enjoyable, to say the least...

No comments:

Post a Comment