Upon entering the grounds, we found ourselves facing a building. We found that it housed assorted vehicles on display and a line of tables promoting various causes. We finally made our way through it and were back outside, walking toward the main part of the fair. On the right was a little arena for a show we would later attend featuring two baboons, a baby monkey wearing a diaper, a dollar-snatching bird, a dog trained as a mailman, the able host trainer, and his trainer wife, whose English could barely be understood behind her incredibly thick Russian accent. Good little show. Further down from this was an alligator-wrestling show that we missed and an ongoing karaoke contest. We passed them by and went deeper into the park. As we walked further, we saw booths all over the place selling different kinds of refreshment. One type that particularly stood out was the one that sold deep-fried foods of seemingly any kind: deep-fried Oreos, Milky Ways, other candy bars, apples, pickles, butter...even Pepsi was available in this weird form. Later the three of us would sample some of the deep-fried Oreos, to a wide range of reaction (I didn't care for them). We also got a funnel cake which I thought was scrumptious. But the eating actually came at the end of our visit. The main thing there was the rides.
I expected a Ferris Wheel, which there was (and we all rode together). I didn't know what more to expect in the area of rides and was quite surprised to see so many quality ones there. There was the typical swinging boat ride, a straight-up-and-down pole ride, some that played with your sense of gravity, an O-shaped looping ride, some peewee rollercoasters, and some rides that were very similar to those I had encountered at the Wild Adventures theme park in Valdosta, Georgia. They even had a small version of that park's "Yo-Yo" swinging ride...unfortunately down for repairs. But I guess I was ultimately the most disappointed in the broken down state of my favorite ride, Power Surge, which was there! So close, and yet so far...
I ended up going on just a couple of rides, while my "kids" (ages 18 and 23 now) went on several more. I had a lot of fun watching them have fun on their rides, though. Maybe next time I go to a county fair I'll try out some more (and maybe Power Surge will be there, actually functioning).
Oh, and what would a county fair be without the farm animals? There was, on this evening, a small section devoted to them. Cows, goats, and ducks abounded. I saw one horse, and one pen contained the following strange assortment of animals, all of which seemed to be getting along quite well together: one mother cow, one calf she was nursing, one calf that was sleeping, one white duck off in the far corner, one cute little black pot-bellied pig incessantly sniffing and wagging its tail, and one big ol' turkey that seemed intent on having a staring contest with me up close. The animals were fun to look at, although I think the main animal contests and displays which typify county fairs must have been scheduled for a different date...
I felt that the people working at this fair were friendly and contributed to the festive atmosphere. We went on a Thursday evening, and although there were a few families with little children sprinkled in along with seniors, most of those attending seemed to be high school students. Most also seemed to be having a pretty good time! Here are a few pics (one showing a view from atop the Ferris Wheel)...
No comments:
Post a Comment