Wednesday, October 23, 2013

2013 World Series: "My" Team

I have come to a decision about which team to support in this year's World Series, which begins tonight.  Drum roll, please....

The Boston Red Sox!

Part of this decision is based on the fact that I generally have good feelings about the city of Boston and New England.  Part is that I remember the second World Series I ever followed, back when I had just turned eleven years old in 1967.  At that time, 46 years ago, the teams were the same: Boston versus the St. Louis Cardinals.  That series, in which I also pulled for the Red Sox, went the full seven games and was very exciting.  Sadly, the Cardinals won it.  I think there's a tiny, tiny part of me, buried for all these years in the deep recesses of my memory, that clamors for REVENGE!  That's pretty irrational, I suppose.  Especially when you consider that my two favorite teams in baseball are the New York Yankees and the Tampa Bay Rays, not only divisional rivals of each other but also of Boston.  But then again, I like all of the American League East and have gradually come to focus my baseball interest on it. 

I suppose I could instead just say to myself that I dislike both teams and therefore don't give a hoot who wins.  But what fun would that be???!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment