When I first moved to Gainesville in 1977, and for years afterward, the grassland area south of town known as Paynes Prairie was always striking when I passed across it, either on US 441 or I-75. In this part of Florida trees dominate, but in Paynes Prairie they clear away and one can see far off into the distance. In this sense it reminds me of South Florida, where I grew up. About a century ago, it was the bottom of a shallow lake called Lake Alachua. But when there is a heavy rainfall season, it once again becomes essentially a very marshy lake. Alligators abound here, and there is a bison herd. There is a state park here, as well as a park for University of Florida staff, faculty, and students at adjacent Lake Wauberg.
The grasslands are probably still around, but probably somewhere off from the two aforementioned through-roads. From where we passed through, all I can see now are low-lying bushes...not as spectacular of a view as I was used to behold. There is a pier running east into the prairie off US 441 northbound side, close to the northern end, where visitors can walk safely "into" Paynes Prairie and stand at its end, which is an observation platform. I think this might be a good place to go star-gazing sometime.
Here are a couple of not-so-revealing shots of Paynes Prairie taken from I-75 while I was riding (not driving) on it the other day...
Sunday, August 18, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment