I feel that there is a compelling case for a conservative political outlook. Unfortunately, whenever I tune in on the radio or television to conservative-leaning shows, I am almost instantly revolted by the disgusting vituperative, hateful tone of the host and guests. I remember watching William F. Buckley time after time years ago as he adroitly promoted his conservative belief system on his popular PBS show Firing Line. He didn't demonize his ideological opponents; on the contrary, many of them were his friends, some being repeat guests on his show. Nowadays, though, conservative-based shows remind me more of a circle of kids at a bus stop, with the chief bully insulting an unpopular boy or girl and the other toadies piling on, truth rarely ever being expressed, much less respectful and constructive criticism. Rusty Humphrey, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, Laura Ingraham, Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage, Glenn Beck, Ted Nugent, John Gibson, Neil Boortz (who supposedly retired but keeps resurfacing)...these people and others repel me by their hateful, derisive tone. And that's not including my own hometown's locally-produced variety, one of whom has just recently (and regrettably) been elected mayor of my city. God help us. To be sure, the political left has its bomb-throwers as well...Bill Maher and Keith Olbermann come to mind. But the overwhelming trend with this ugliness is to the right...
The government should be careful about spending the money it forces from taxpayers. I agree with that essentially conservative notion, but the above-mentioned hacks selectively apply this principle only to Democrats while allowing Republican politicians to run up the tab with impunity whenever they are in power. I also believe in the conservative idea of a strong national defense, wisely and cautiously employed in necessary situations. Ironically, though, it was the previous "conservative" administration that bogged us down in a pointless conflict in Iraq that overstretched our national defenses, wrecked our national budget, and brought death and horrible injury to thousands of our finest and bravest young people with very little in the way of a positive return for their sacrifices. And I believe that our court system should respect precedent in making their decisions instead of legislating from the bench, a charge that conservatives in the media and politics often level at "liberal" judges. Yet the current recent crop of Supreme Court justices appointed by the last three GOP presidents are more committed to changing the law in order to promote their right-wing ideological views than they are about making sure the law is properly followed as it was written and according to the Constitution.
So sure, conservatism sounds good to me, at least in theory. The terrible irony is that I am seeing more of it being practiced by the Democrats than by the Republicans, who so loudly claim it for themselves...
Thursday, May 16, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment