Tuesday, February 12, 2013

March Half-Marathon in the Works

It is looking more and more like I will be running in that Sunday, March 3 Orange Blossom Half-Marathon in Tavares/Mount Dora.  It also looks as if Melissa will be accompanying me; she plans to walk the 5K event when I run mine.  I just got that Satuday off so, we can make a weekend out of it! And that has special meaning because she grew up in that area in Lake County, while I myself lived there for a few months back in 1987.

Meanwhile, much further south where I grew up, half-marathons abound year-round.  There are two events held regularly, both in northern Dade County.  One is just east of North Miami Beach and the other is in Hialeah.  Both are trail runs, too.  It might be fun to try one or both of them out on future visits.  But the only reason I still have to visit there is to attend to my 86-year-old father.  Maybe I can schedule a trip there around when they're holding a half-marathon. But I don't think I'll be running anything long in south Florida during the hot and humid summer months: I had a bad experience down there a couple of years ago when I was almost overcome by the heat and humidity, and on a relatively short four-mile jog at that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment