Saturday, January 5, 2013

Churchill Optimism Quote

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.       ---Winston Churchill

A few weeks ago I wrote someone about this quote, which I think accomplishes the three-fold requirement of an enduring piece of wisdom: it's short, it's catchy, and above all, it's applicable to just about any area in our lives.  Churchill was speaking from the context of a wartime leader, and his people were enduring severe hardship as the enemy was bombing British cities, their economy was under strict rationing, and their soldiers were putting their lives on the line for their country.  In the midst of this situation, it would be only too easy to become negative and dwell on the surrounding difficulty.  But I know people around me who are living in affluence but can only find things to complain about how their lives are going.  When they grumble, it makes me wonder just how much they themselves contributed to their state of relative wealth, and how much they instead are benefiting from the work and sacrifice of others.  Because with an realistically optimistic attitude, I believe, comes one of gratitude and proactivity.

For me to have a "rosy" view of the future, I need to believe that I have an element of choice as to how I personally can contribute to its shaping.  For me to just remain passive and expect things to "work themselves out" would tend, or so it seems, to cause me to adopt a more pessimistic mindset in the long run.  Besides, a busy person, centered in the present moment, has little time to be gloomy about things.  Especially when there is so much cool stuff to do and experience!