Having completed both the half-marathon and marathon events in running, I feel a sense of connection while out driving when I see, on the back of a vehicle in front of me, a decal with the simple number of "13.1" or "26.2" on it. For that means that the owner of that vehicle has run one of the two aforementioned distances, expressing their accomplishment, of course, in miles. So the other day it intrigued me when I was on the road and saw a car with a decal that simply said "70.3". Well, it took me a very, very short time to figure that this individual was referring to having completed a triathlon event (swimming, bicycling, and running), the total racing distance amounting to 70.3 miles. H-m-m, maybe that's the Ironman triathlon I've heard so much about.
But after reading up on it in Wikipedia, I found out that I was only partially correct in my conclusion. "70.3" is an Ironman triathlon, but not the full version. No, this is an Ironman half-triathlon, with the distances covered breaking down to 1.2 miles of swimming, 56 miles of bicycling, and 13.1 miles of running. Sounds like something I could build myself up to, after the current medical issue I am facing eventually is satisfactorily resolved. After all, I have run many, many half-marathons and I could train up to the other two distances. But a full Ironman triathlon? No way, dude...
By the way, since it is a "half-triathlon", why not get cute and perform some arithmetic on it? Then it would be the three-halves-athlon, or the one-and-one-half-athlon. Oh well...maybe we should just name it like the decal does: "70.3".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment