One of the Starbucks stores I regularly sit in (at the corner of NW 16th Avenue and 13th Street in Gainesville) displays on its walls large pictures showing largely third world agricultural workers picking and preparing the coffee beans that presumably eventually make their way into my cup in one form or another. These pictures are attractive and serve the purpose of connecting the customer with the producer. In this regard, Starbucks, with its star product of coffee, has a huge advantage over a place like McDonald's, which features its beef hamburgers. After all, who wants to sit in a McDonald's and, while chomping away on a Big Mac, be treated to murals of cattle being slaughtered and their bloody meat butchered?
Yes, the indoor ambiance of most Starbucks beats McDonald's easily, and this may be one reason that, although the latter offers cheaper (and better tasting, in my opinion) brewed coffee and espresso drinks (hot and cold), people will still line up in the morning at the former for their coffee. What I don't get, though, are the customers who'll do this and not sit down with their drink, but rather get right back into their cars and drive off. If you're going to do that, why not just do a drive-through at McDonald's without having to get out in the first place (and save gobs of money in the process). Of course, one possible explanation is that some customers are finicky and particular about their coffee beverage, and can be quite complicated with their order. Starbucks is more suited for this.
Both Starbucks and McDonald's offer free wi-fi access. Their store hours are very comparable, too. And I find that usually I can find decent seating at McDonald's while Starbucks is sometimes completely crammed, with no seats available.
If all you want is brewed coffee, there is no better deal short of brewing your own (or getting the free coffee offered at Publix) than what you get at McDonald's. One dollar pays for as large a coffee as you want, and then you get free refills. The cheapest coffee at Starbucks is the misnamed "tall" size at $1.65, and then a refill will cost $.50 more.
I guess what I'm getting at is that I know when I go to a Starbucks instead of a McDonald's that I am paying more for the pleasant surroundings than I am paying for the actual drink. The idea of just buying a coffee there and leaving makes no sense. I can easily brew much better tasting coffee at home and bring it along with me...
Sunday, July 22, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment