Monday, July 2, 2012

Gainesville Radio Stations Speak With Same Voice

Maybe this is just a transition period, yeah, that's got to be it...otherwise, broadcast radio here in Gainesville has just made a turn from mediocre programming (at best) to insane programming.  What happened?

Although Gainesviile has other radio stations on the AM dial, there have historically been two main stations in competition with each other: the privately-owned WGGG on 1230 kHz and WRUF on 850, owned by the University of Florida.  Recently both have featured all-sports programming, mostly just talk but also play-by-play of certain events.  That lack of diversity was bad enough, as far as I was concerned.  But still, if I were in the mood for sports programming and I wasn't satisfied with what was being discussed on one of the stations, I could try listening to the other.  No more, I'm afraid...

Starting about a week ago, WRUF assumed WGGG's programming, including its important ESPN Radio contract.  This left the lower-power station on 1230 with a question about what type of programming it would broadcast.  When I first found out about this change, I tuned in to WGGG to see what it was up to.  And it turned out, nothing different!

Both WRUF on 850 and WGGG on 1230 are broadcasting identical programs throughout the day!  I can't recall this sort of thing happening.  Nor can I understand why.  In another sports context, if a player from one team goes to join another, you're not going to see him/her simultaneously playing for both!

I'd like to see WGGG switch to another kind of programming soon, but if it does I hope it isn't another sorry conservative talk radio format as I have seen on too many stations here.  How about just oldies, classical music, or even easy listening?  But the current situation of identical programming with its cross-band competitor is ludicrous and pointless...

No comments:

Post a Comment