Saturday, June 9, 2012

List Madness: My Top 50 Beck Songs

For most of 2012 so far, I have been listening during my training runs on my MP3 player (in shuffle mode) to just one musical artist: Beck (aka Beck Hansen), an old favorite of mine.  Lately, I have been listening to more of his material and now regard him as my top favorite musical act.  This is in spite of the fact that he hasn't released any new albums in the last five years.  Still, I have heard about 130 tracks spanning fourteen years and nine albums.  The only album of his under general release that I haven't yet heard anything from is Stereopathetic Soulmanure, from 1993.

Beck, many songs of whom are typified by insanely-catchy strings of unrelated words in their lyrics, is most famous for his breakout single Loser, as well as the follow-up album Odelay, which spawned several hit singles.  But this was all in the mid-1990's.  Although his four album releases over the past decade (condensed into a busy five-year period from 2002 to 2007) haven't generated hits on broadcast radio, that is no indictment against Beck, in my opinion: radio nowadays ignores too many quality acts, instead playing a lot of, well, let's just call it the crap that it is!

As is my custom on this blog, here is my list of personal favorite Beck songs.  The album for each entry is indicated by the following abbreviations: One Foot in the Grave [OF], Mellow Gold [Mel], Odelay [O], Mutations [Mut], Midnite Vultures [MV], Sea Change [SC], Guero [G], The Information [I], and Modern Guilt [Mod].  Also listed are two singles and a beautiful cover Beck did of an old Korgis song.  Well, here goes...

1--Timebomb [single]
2--Novacane [O]
3--Lost Cause [SC]
4--Pay No Mind [Mel]
5--Deadweight [single]
6--Cellphone's Dead [I]
7--Earthquake Weather [G]
8--Jack-Ass [O]
9--Mixed Bizness [MV]
10--Beercan [Mel]
11--Think I'm in Love [I]
12--Youthless [Mod]
13--Everybody's Got to Learn Sometime [cover]
14--Rental Car [G]
15--Motorcade [I]
16--Loser [Mel]
17--Whiskey Can Can [OF]
18--Get Real Paid [MV]
19--Gamma Ray [Mod]
20--Blackhole [Mel]
21--Teenage Wastebasket [OF]
22--Dead Melodies [Mut]
23--Missing [G]
24--Sexx Laws [MV]
25--Broken Train [MV]
26--Devils Haircut [O]
27--Ramshackle [O]
28--It's All in Your Mind [SC]
29--Lazy Flies [Mut]
30--Minus [O]
31--Woe on Me [OF]
32--Pressure Zone [MV]
33--The New Pollution [O]
34--Sissyneck [O]
35--Hollow Log [OF]
36--Profanity Prayers [Mod]
37--Soldier Jane [I]
38--Scarecrow [G]
39--Girl [G]
40--Movie Theme [I]
41--Nitemare Hippy Girl [Mel]
42--E-Pro [G]
43--Truckdrivin' Neighbors Downstairs [Mel]
44--Broken Drum [G]
45--Sunday Sun [SC]
46--Readymade [O]
47--F#%$ing With My Head [Mel]
48--Mattress [OF]
49--Nausea [I]
50--Where It's At [O]

Note: All of the above are songs that I like A LOT, even the old radio staple Where It's At at #50.  Actually, there are only a handful of Beck tunes that I truly dislike.  And just one that I abhor: Debra, from Midnite Vultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment