I was looking at a website that showed upcoming running races in my general area. One of them, the Freedom 8K Race (5 miles long), will take place on the morning of Monday, May 28 Memorial Day in Green Cove Springs (a few miles south of Jacksonville along the St. Johns River). It would be a relatively easy drive to and back for me, and although I would have preferred a longer race, 8K is still better than 5K. Only one problem, though: I am getting tired of the high entry fee. This one, if I signed up now, would cost me $40. Sure, proceeds are going to a good cause, don't they all? For this particular event, the cause is to help wounded veterans (and their families), including those with post-traumatic stress disorder. A worthy endeavor, if I may say so. Still, I can think of a lot of other different uses for $40 and still be able to step out of my front door and run for 5 miles without paying a penny, something I have already done 8 times this month alone without even hardly breaking a sweat.
Well, I don't see myself running in this race. I think that I have unconsciously decided that shelling out a tidy sum ($25 and over) to run in a race smaller than a half-marathon just won't work for me. Maybe those 5K races might be better suited for me, as long as they stay within my "price range". Still, even at a fee of $20, it seems like a personal waste of money..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment