A fire currently consuming about 20,000 acres north of Gainesville, in the Columbia/Baker Counties border area, has sent noxious clouds of choking smoke southward to cover my once-fair city for the past few days, making a mockery out of any consideration of mine to do any outdoors running. So instead I had been resorting to the indoor treadmill, which though is not as desirable as open-road running, at least suffices as a temporary measure. Today, however, although I could still sniff a hint of smoke in the air, the haze had dramatically lifted enough for me to hit the road again. This I did with gusto, finishing my run having covered 7.74 miles (with my customary near-constant pace, giving me a time of 1:09:11).
Yes, that was a pleasant reprieve from the haze, but I am realistic: the winds can and probably will shift again, sending the smoke back my way (in which case its the treadmill again). Besides, as the parched ground is all around us in drought-stricken northern Florida, we already have a plethora of wildfires popping up all over the place, not just north of us. Sadly, I don't see the situation improving anytime in the near future...
Thursday, April 12, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment