The Phoenix Suns, which for years has been my favorite team in the National Basketball Association due to their fantastic guard Steve Nash, found themselves eliminated from the playoffs after falling to Utah 100-88. The game was closer and tougher than the final score, but a loss is a loss and the Suns simply didn't have enough to compensate for what, quite frankly, amounts to a long-term decline in this franchise's talent. I don't understand how an organization like Phoenix, which once had an outstanding coach and an all-star cast of starters, would allow themselves to fall back so badly, leaving them relying on basically two players: their "franchise" star Steve Nash and Grant Hill. And Hill has been injured for the last part of the season, leaving the team at an almost unforgivable disadvantage to other teams. It reminds me of what happened to the Miami Dolphins in football over the past fifteen years. Only...
I grew up in the Miami area and followed the Dolphins since 1968. I will always be a fan of theirs, win or lose. But I have no personal connection with the city of Phoenix, or the state of Arizona for that matter. In fact, with the recent reactionary, hateful politics dominating that state in the last few years, I am inclined to root against them for that reason alone. The only reason I pull for them to win anymore is Nash's presence on the team. And if he ever leaves for another team (or retires), they can forget it, as far as I am concerned.
The playoffs are right around the corner, and I am excited at the upcoming action. I see great potential for upsets this year, as well as long, protracted seven-game series...
Wednesday, April 25, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment