Monday, March 5, 2012

Venus and Jupiter on Display in Western Evening Sky

Just before the skies around my region clouded up for a succession of days, I noticed one twilight, when I happened to be off from work and therefore with the opportunity to sky gaze, that, looking west just after sunset, the moon (waxing crescent) was juxtaposed very close to a very bright Venus. And Jupiter was close by, a few degrees eastward (i.e., up). Then the overcast conditions ensued. I saw a reference to this astronomical event (at least from the perspective of Earth) later on a cable news show, but even they were realistic enough to point out that this was visible "from Los Angeles". I guess the rest of the country was under one big, bad-ass cloud!

Now the skies have cleared up again and, alas, our lunar companion has moved on with its phasing toward more eastern parts of the night sky. But the spectacle of seeing the two brightest planets so close to each other in the early evening sky is still something to behold. Try to catch this wonder if you have the chance...

No comments:

Post a Comment