Saturday, March 17, 2012

Gators NCAA Bracket Situation Flips from Negative to Positive

As I mentioned in yesterday's article, a formidable looking seeding in the NCAA basketball tournament can change pretty quickly to an auspicious situation if tough teams lined up in future games unexpectedly get knocked off by lower-seeded teams. This is exactly what happened to the University of Florida yesterday.

The 7th seeded Gators took care of their own business by dominating 10th seeded Virgina in their opening tournament game 71-46 and then waited to see who their Sunday opponent would be, almost certainly 2nd seeded Missouri (groan). Instead, Missouri fell in a major, major upset to 15th seeded Norfolk State 86-84, resulting in a pairing tomorrow that favors Florida for reaching the goal of making it to the Sweet Sixteen. But as a colleague reminded me last night, they still have to face a team in Norfolk State that beat Missouri, which had gone through the season with a blistering 32-2 record. But as I see it, I would rather face a team that upset a tough opponent than have to contend with that opponent myself...

Other teams I am following, which include North Carolina, Florida State, and upstart South Florida, all made it through yesterday's games and, like Florida, will play again tomorrow to also try to become one of the vaunted final sixteen teams left in the tournament. Should be very interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment